The Benefits of RFID Technology: A Manufacturer’s Guide
RFID technology appears to be on everyone’s mind in the labeling industry.
For instance, a major trade publication asked label manufacturers around the globe what they believe will be one of the most significant advances in the labeling industry in 2024. Paraphrased below are their responses:
- We remain optimistic for a strong 2024 and are using the coming year to focus on three main priorities: improving the customer experience, advancing sustainability practices, and helping implement RFID technology.
- We will focus on connectivity using QR (Quick Response codes) or RFID tags. They add features and functionalities that enhance product compliance. They also provide real-time access to online information and product manuals.
- Regarding label innovation, RFID technology continues to be an exciting area. Integrating RFID into labels will increase consumer engagement and provide interactive experiences.
- Connectivity using QR or RFID tags adds features and functionality that enhance product compliance. Brands can leverage interaction opportunities for increased consumer engagement and brand loyalty.
As you can see, all the responses reference RFID or “radio frequency identification.”
RFID is a communication technology now revolutionizing the labeling industry. These labels can store and transmit data, track inventory, and improve efficiency. However, many manufacturers do not know what RFID is, how it works, or how it could benefit them. Some may have never even heard of it.
That’s why GENflex Labeling Solutions is here – to explain the basics of this technology and its benefits for manufacturers.
Radio frequency identification technology was invented in the 1940s and patented in 1983. It uses electromagnetic fields, or tags, to identify and track items, transmitting that information to a reader. It is like a barcode but with several advantages.
For instance, unlike barcodes, which require line-of-sight scanners to be read and can only provide information about a single item at a time, RFID electronic readers can decode multiple tags simultaneously and do not need light or a direct line-of-sight between the electronic reader and the label. What’s more, the system can scan many products at one time.
RFID also helps manufacturers:
- Store much more data.
- Track products in transport.
- Adapt to most types of environmental conditions.
- Improve accuracy.
- Avoid stockouts.
- Integrate more easily with other data and software systems.
In addition to these benefits, RFID can help manufacturers and retailers in several more ways:
- Offer high-speed scanning, significantly reducing time spent on inventory management.
- These labels are fully accurate, reducing errors when tracking and storing products.
- Help foster more efficient communication between retailers, distributors, and manufacturers to help improve inventory management and prevent inventory shortages.
- They provide traceability, an increasingly important factor in security for the pharma, electronics, and food and beverage industries.
- Monitor product quality at each production stage, allowing for early detection and correction of defects. This reduces waste and rework, leading to higher-quality output.
- Assist in the production line, reducing manual intervention and increasing production speed.
- These labels can direct consumers to external links – even voice messages – from the manufacturer about exclusive deals, coupons, guidance on using the product, and the most up-to-date regulatory information.
- These labels can also be used as a theft deterrent by integrating with alarm systems and triggering alarms when a product is stolen.
As we can see, RFID labels offer many advantages for manufacturers and retailers. However, working with a label manufacturer with experience and expertise in RFID is essential to get the best results from this emerging technology.
GENflex Labeling Solutions is a trusted partner for many businesses that use RFID labels. With over sixty years of industry knowledge, GENflex helps its customers choose the right labeling and RFID solutions for their needs and budget.
GENflex Labeling Solutions has been a leading provider of packaging and labeling solutions for over 60 years. Our goal is to always be on time, on spec, and on budget. That’s how we help our clients succeed. Discover more here.