Why Is Product Labeling So Important?
Product labeling is a crucial factor affecting how consumers choose between your products and your competitors. Therefore, manufacturers should spend time finding a reliable labeling manufacturer who can produce high-quality product labels, which will help them gain a competitive edge in the market.
Correct product labeling ensures that all of the necessary information about the product is clearly presented.
- What they are made of or what ingredients they contain.
- Any safety warnings or precautions.
- Where they come from, and who made or distributed them.
- Any relevant regulations or standards they comply with.
- Any numbers that can identify or track them.
- Correct bar codes.
Further, realize that different products may have different product labeling requirements. For example, in an earlier blog post we mentioned electronics and food products may need specific kinds of labels.
Product Labeling Mistakes
Before we provide tips on creating effective product labels, it’s important to review some of the most common labeling mistakes manufacturers make. Among them are the following:
- Using confusing language.
- Using misleading language.
- Using outdated information on the label.
- Printing incorrect information on the product label. One year, RCA packaged their digital flat-screen televisions with this label: Digital Flat Antenna. “If they can’t get the label right,” some consumers believed, “how good can the product be inside?”
- Spelling errors. While rare, to consumers considering a purchase, spelling errors invariably cause them to think twice about it.
- Using low-quality printing materials or methods that fade or peel off.
- Employing unpleasant labeling color combinations. Color and color combinations are vital because they help grab consumers’ attention.
- Printing incorrect barcodes.
- Using too many fonts or fonts that are too small or hard to read.
- Not including the labeling information typically found on the product label.
These mistakes can cause confusion, dissatisfaction, or distrust among consumers. In a worst-case scenario, they may even lead to litigation or penalties for the manufacturer. Fortunately, working with an experienced labeling manufacturer can eliminate most if not all of these mistakes.
Product Labeling that Sells Products
With the mistakes out of the way, we can now focus on several tips to make effective product labels. And just in case you are wondering what an “effective” product label is, Genfex defines it in four words: Effective Labels Sell Products
They don’t have any of the mistakes we just discussed. Instead, they accurately describe your product; comply with all regulations; and are attractive, easy to read, and grab the consumer’s attention.
Effective product labels also include the following:
They are professionally designed. Always work with a professional designer using the latest techniques, software, and technology to make your labels. With decades of label manufacturing experience, Genflex provides its clients with the art guidelines necessary to ensure their labels are printed to meet their goals and expectations.
Incorporate company branding elements. This includes your logo, company colors, and commonly used design elements. Branding helps consumers identify your product.
Are correctly sized and shaped for your products. Be willing to experiment with different shapes and sizes. Very often, one shape and size result in more sales. That’s the one you want.
The labels are made with suitable materials for your product. For instance:
- Do you want them to have a shiny or matte finish?
- Should they be water resistant/waterproof?
- Do you want the contents of the product visible through the label?
- Will the products label be impacted by environmental conditions (wet, cold, hot)?
We’ve covered a lot of labeling territory here. The questions above and all the topics discussed here are all designed to help you select the best label manufacturer for your goals and needs.
Genflex is a General Paper Company.